Friday, December 21, 2007

Quick Review: No Country for Old Men

Finally saw No Country for Old Men yesterday and I've got to say I was very impressed. I thought the acting was amazing. especially from two guys who usually phone it in (Tommy Lee Jones and Woody Harrelson). Javier Bardem was the best villain I've seen in years and Josh Brolin surprised me with his acting chops for the second film in a row (he was also good in American Gangster). I thought the violence was a bit much but when the Cohen's go violent they go violent (Blood Simple and Fargo). I thought it was a film that made the grotesque beautiful whether it be the Texas plains, or a roadside motel. I even got a few good laughs out of some of the scenes. All in all it instantly jumps to the top 3 of the year for me (I'll share my top 5 of 2007 next week) and on my initial reactions I'd say it rates in the same place of my favorite Cohen brothers flix although the top nine can change on a whim as I love them all so much.
1. Raising Arizona
2. Hudsucker Proxy
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Big Lewbowski
5. O'Brother Where Art Thou?
6. Miller's Crossing
7. Blood Simple
8. The Man Who Wasn't There
9. Fargo
10. Barton Fink

No comments: