Thursday, December 06, 2007

Runway Roundup: Week 4


Ok it’s nice to see I’m not the only one having some issues with the new season of Project Runway. Entertainment Weekly and Pink is the New Blog have both expressed some of the same concerns I’ve had. Maybe its partly due to the long lay off creating inflated expectations, but for whatever reason this season is just not satisfying. I found myself more excited for the Top Chef: Holiday Special and the ad for their new season coming in 2008 than I was by last night’s Runway episode.

Take last night’s challenge for example. The idea of using old trends in new designs was great fun and had classic Runway written all over it. Yet as I watched the shoulder pads, overalls, and cut outs emerge I was frankly quite bored. While I felt Christian’s team did a great job (sorry but Team Overalls just didn’t stroke my fashion passion) I still wanted more and once again I got the feeling that the designers are getting cushier challenges then previous seasons. The designers themselves could be part of the problem as week in and week out their designs are good but not great. Even Crazy Lady has calmed down and become more boring than crazy. As a result we’re left with minor bickering like this week’s “showdown” between Victoria and Ricky. Snooze fest! Speaking of Ricky, the guy must have 9 runway lives as he once again survived by the skin of his teeth and sadly sent Chris, the one constantly engaging and entertaining designer, home. Personally I thought French Stewart’s outfit, pictured above, was the worst. It didn’t look like a dance outfit unless it was stolen from Karate Kid: The Musical.

While I’m certainly not going to stop watching Heidi and company better find a way to wake up and make it work if they want to keep the show “in”.

No comments: