Monday, December 31, 2007

Top 5 Moments for Me in 2007







Most Disappointing: Chris Benoit is a murderer
You can go back in the blog archives and follow the ups and downs this story took me on. When I first heard my favorite pro-wrestler was dead I was literally moved to tears. Chris was an amazing athlete who stood out in a phony industry. Then it came out his wife and kid were dead which in this day and age should have immediately raised a red flag but instead I planted myself in front of the TV and watched a tribute show the WWE hastily through together. Hours later it came out that this man who I thought so highly of was a deeply disturbed individual who murdered his wife and young son. Just a damn shame all around.

5. Blog blows up!
Thanks in large part to the person featured in my number one moment, this blog had a great year. 5000 hits were quickly followed up by 6000 and 7000 and the hits keep coming. Thanks to everyone for your readership.

4. Wii have come to play!
When I bought my Wii last year I realized it was a massive purchase that could fall flat but based on the reviews I was willing to take the chance. That chance has paid off huge. Over the past few months my Wii has rivaled my iPod and TiVo in terms of techno-love. The Wii Sports game is still a blast to play and Mario Galaxy is the most beautiful game I’ve ever played. Of course the biggest fun came late in the year when I became a Rock God courtesy of Guitar Hero III. While I may never tackle expert I’m happy to rock out for hours.

3. Harry Potter comes to a close.
I was hung over and tired as a dog as I walked in to pick up my reserved copy of the final Potter adventure but that didn’t stop me from finishing the book in just over 18 hours. JK brought the epic tale to a close in a way that rewarded both the story and the readers. The coda ending put the perfect close on a tale I can’t wait to read again.

2. Have life will travel!
I know this isn’t a specific event or moment but I had some great travels this year that would have dominated this list if I didn’t group them together. In March I celebrated St Patrick’s Day in Boston with 4 friends and it was the realization of a 10 year dream. The highlight had to be seeing Boston’s own Dropkick Murphys on the night before St Paddy’s with Nik and Kristen. June brought me to New York, which I hadn’t been to in years. We stayed in a swank room and did it up right and I got to catch up with my old friend Bill which was great. October was my friend Chris’s wedding in San Diego and my first real vacation with my new partner. There truly is no more perfect city and besides all the wedding festivities I was able to see my two sets of godparents. Can’t wait to get out and see more.


1. Finding an old friend and discovering a partner.

Almost one year ago I got the strangest message on MySpace. It was from an old college girlfriend who had found me while searching out old friends. I was shocked by the fact that MySpace could actually provide a worthwhile service and by the fact that this person had looked me up. Soon we were emailing back and forth and then eventually came the phone calls and then last May our first meeting in 12 years. At best I hoped to walk away from the meeting with a new friend in my second hometown of Madison and at worst it would be a walk down memory lane. Instead of rehashing old times we quickly caught up, discovered numerous commons interests and spent the next two days more or less together. I’ve always been a romantic but after some hard years I had all but given up on finding someone. Now I’ve found a woman who is my equal or better in so many ways, a woman that matches my love for life, a true partner and a woman whom I love.


Looking Ahead to 2008: Moving Again

Whether you know me personally or a regular reader you’ve probably noticed that the blog has moved from Madison to Minneapolis in the last few years. Well get ready to move again cause 2008 we’re going back to land of cheese and beer. It will be my 4th tour of duty in Madison and I couldn’t be more excited as this time I’m sharing it with someone else.

No comments: