Monday, December 24, 2007

Top 5 Movies of 2007

Honorable Mention: Hot Fuzz
Huge props to Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright for being the rare indie filmmakers who not only avoid a sophomore slump but actually exceed their first film. Maybe it’s because I’m more of a cop film fan then a zombie film fan but Hot Fuzz narrowly beat out Shaun of the Dead for me partly because it had higher production values but mostly because I laughed even harder then I did at Shaun. These guys don’t mock or parody the different genres they’ve focused on, they celebrate them and pay tribute to them and that’s what gives these movies an earnest feeling that makes them so ripe for repeat viewing. By the way a new expanded DVD set of Hot Fuzz just came out after the bare bones release this summer so get out there and snatch it up.

Most Disappointing: American Gangster
I love Ridley Scott. I love Denzel Washington. I can stomach Russell Crowe. Together this should have been a triumph but instead it was just ok. Sure there were worse movies in 2007 but this is one I was so ready for. Some of it can’t be blamed on the film itself. After all, it was the studio that pushed it as Crowe and Washington when the film is really Crowe or Washington except for the last 10 minutes. This brings me to my biggest beef. When we finally do get Crowe and Washington in the room there’s no tension and no adversarial relationship. Instead we get a love story that happens quicker then the one between Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl in Knocked Up! Scott ended up making a film that was ok but no where near great or even good.

5. Ocean’s 13
The two most mindlessly fun experiences I had in 2007 were Knocked Up and Ocean’s 13 and I felt like only one could make the list and yet again Danny Ocean and company won out. I loved both 11 and 12 (yes I know I’m in the minority on 12) partly because of the sheer bravado of the cast and crew and partly because it was damn hard not to enjoy yourself when you’re clearly watching people having a blast themselves. 13 did that again but also came up with the best heist story of the three. Al Pacino didn’t add much to the flick but Ellen Barkin (yes she’s still alive and sexy as hell) brought a ton and more then made up for the absence of Julia Roberts. It was fitting that Matt Damon stole the show both in the narrative and in terms of performance from Pitt and Clooney, as 2007 was clearly the year that solidified him as a megastar. Soderberg constructed a film with an amazing pace and the editing might be the best of the year. Guilty pleasure or not this was one great flick.

4. Inland Empire
David Lynch’s latest lacked the narrative path that made Mullholland Drive and Lost Highway easier to follow but Lynch isn’t in the business of making easy movies. As a filmgoer I like to be challenged if I know I’ll be rewarded and Lynch pays off big to those who take the journey. There are holes and missing footage all over this film that started off as more of an experiment with digital video for Lynch but the story(s) that do evolve are captivating, tragic, beautiful, and yes confusing. It’s hard to be bothered by the confusion though when everything else is so damn engrossing.

3. The Bourne Ultimatum
The 3rd installment of Bourne’s journey in many ways is just an extension of the second film, both in narrative and in stylistic choices. That is not a complaint though as Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon exceed the drama, suspense and action of the previous two films and make the best “grown up” action movie since 2005’s A History of Violence. Greengrass has further refined the hand held look of the Bourne universe and while its jumpy and always moving, it somehow avoids making you dizzy or ill while watching (aka Blair Witch disease). I know Damon and Greengrass say Jason Bourne is dead and buried but given how much this installment improved on a near flawless second installment, I’d love to see them try to top it again.

2. Michael Clayton
I love George Clooney. I love him when he’s cool and suave like Danny Ocean and I love him when he’s broken and a shell like Michael Clayton. Of course it doesn’t hurt that in the end of this high tension thriller the cool suave Clooney makes an appearance but the beauty is that it makes story sense. The washed out cinematography is perfect for the grey world that Michael, his law firm, and their clients navigate in and first time director Tony Gilroy makes a seamless transition from screenwriter to director. Tilda Swinton is amazing and better win a Best Supporting Actress Oscar in a couple of months.

1. No Country for Old Men
I just reviewed this last Friday in the post prior to this one, but after thinking on it some more I’ve got to say this is hands down my favorite film of 2007. Working from Cormac McCarthy’s award winning story doesn’t hurt but the Cohen’s make this all their own. The opening voice over tells you everything you’ll need to know about the film you’re about to see.

No comments: